The latest news
No matter what part of Central Dalmatia you've chosen for your holidays, keep in mind Split is truly a special city you should try not to miss. In case your chosen spot under the sun is located somewhere between Šibenik and Makarska, be sure to make at least one day tour to Split and immerse yourself into its historical heritage so perfectly in tune with its modern life and unique atmosphere. To experience Split at its best take a walk thorough the numerous nooks and crannies of its old town with a little guiding help of our list for 5 things not to miss in Split.
1. Diocletian's Palace – After you tour this UNESCO-protected beauty be sure to stop at Peristil where you can experience various manifestations which garnish this ancient ambiance with even more attractiveness and excitement. Climb the stairs up to Vestibul, emperor's antechamber, and allow yourself to get lost among the narrow stone streets of the Old Split. You'll stumble upon Gregory of Nin statue which will grant you a wish, four gates of the emperor's palace, numerous shops, small restaurants serving local delicacies and street performers in Marmontova Street, the life vein of the city.
2. Bačvice Beach – The most famous beach in Split gives you a chance to blend in with the locals and play a game of picigin! Only ten minutes walk from the center, Bačvice Beach will show you this is a game suitable for everyone, no matter what age, sex or fitness level. All you need, besides balun (small ball), company and shallow sandy water, is a load of positive energy. And when you feel the urge for some refreshment and relaxation, you won't have to go far – there are numerous coffee shops dotted along the beach.
3. Marjan – This famous park-forest is favorite recreation spot for locals. Moreover, Marjan encompasses numerous beaches which offer you a perfect break from the summer heat. The same goes for its many walkways and trails which will lead you through thick green forest shade to old little stone churches. For those of you prone to art there's a real treat waiting for you at Meštrović Gallery where you can see some of the best works by the famous Croatian artist Ivan Meštrović.
4. Split Summer Festival – This cultural manifestation resonates the ancient walls of Split city throughout the whole summer and entertains visitors with various musical events. On one hand, its program comprises traditional opera and ballet performances and on the other, various events such as jazz concerts, movie screenings and street performers – no doubt you'll find something interesting for yourself.
5. Coffee on Riva– Enjoying coffee at this so called ''city living room'' is a must ritual for everyone. Numerous coffee shops are dotting Riva, so all you have to do is choose one you like the best, lay back in your chair, observe the passers-by, forget time and rush ever existed and simply enjoy your summer holiday.